Parents have a vested interest in their children’s future. They want them to have positive experiences, obtain a quality education, surround themselves with good people and ultimately, find a fulfilling career.
In the past, students who went to college and finished with a diploma in hand were likely to land a job post-college. In today’s world, the stakes are higher, with increased competition and lower job availability. Students need something extra to shine above the rest, which can come in the form of an internship.
According to a 2012 Internships.com poll, 63 percent of the students in the college class of 2012 completed at least one internship. 28 percent of students completed two! Our Classroom to Career internship program has never been more important. As a parent, here’s what you need to know:
- The Classroom to Career internship program begins with a weeklong, skills-based training program that will give your son or daughter formal professional training that he or she will use for his or her entire career! Examples include selling techniques, presentations skills, overcoming obstacles and more.
- After the Academy, students will work independently for the summer to sell quality, Dardis professional clothing to pre-identified leads in their communities. Dardis provides sales and marketing material, product catalogs and order forms for students to use in presentations to best represent themselves and Dardis.
- Students are responsible for hotel accommodations and meals for the Academy, as well as the intern uniform.
- Safety is a top priority for our interns, so Dardis has a three-pronged approach to safety, which includes training, awareness and prevention.
- Parents are asked to sign a document showing their support for their student in the form of a “Parent Support Letter,” which serves as an information tool for the parents to know what the student wants to do over the summer and to be part of the decision process.
- For students to have a successful summer, we ask that they be coachable, work hard and study hard!
Internships lay the crucial groundwork for a successful career, especially those like the Classroom to Career program where students gain professional communication skills, as well as invaluable sales and marketing experience. Dardis is building future leaders, and helping students bridge the gap between their college course and the business world.
Not yet convinced? Check out our parent testimonials to hear firsthand from parents of former interns.
To get more information for a young person in your life, call 1-800-720-6329, and we will be happy to answer your questions or set up an in-person meeting with a Recruitment Manager.
Photo credit: Nic McPhee, Flickr